Thursday, May 26, 2011

Clinical Practice - Transverse Myelitis

OK, today is my 3rd day of my clinical practice where I have learn how the physiotherapy department in hospital is managed. Besides, I can also see and learn how the physios are communicate and apply the hands on skill on the patient. I have been placed in Hospital Sungai Buloh and will be practising for 2 months and today is just my 3rd day. Hope I can learn more and more from this clinical practice. =)

For today, I have learn a disease call tranverse myelitis. A patient, female, 62 y/o come to the physio department with a weak right leg. She have been walking to the department by using the walking frame and accompanied by his daughter.

Transverse myelitis is a condition where the spinal cord especially the myelin sheath undergo inflammation. The causes is categorised as idiopathic which mean unknown and it can be related to the multiple sclerosis.

So, after she and I having some chats about the disease and collecting her personal details, i have done some objective assessment on her. Below are the list of a few assessments I have done on her::

1. sensation test using pin prick test.
2. Joint senses
3. coordination test, heel shin test.
4. functional test, rolling on bed, getting up from lyin, standing

The treatment I have done is just a few, some of them are,
Gait training
going up stair
standing up
dynamic and static balance

I hope, I can learn more about the disease and can manage well on this patient in the future. =)

*for more information about the transverse myelitis, below is the link for the website:

http://www.myelitis.org/tm.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment